How To Get A Mount In Diablo 4
Here's how to complete Donan's Favor so you can unlock mounts in Diablo 4.
Diablo 4 mounts aid you when exploring a hellish and war-torn realm. While the quest to obtain these creatures might show up early on, you'll have to wait until much later in the campaign to acquire them. Here's our Diablo 4 Donan's Favor guide to help you get mounts in the game.
How to get mounts in Diablo 4
You'll visit the city of Kyovashad early in the campaign. There, you'll come across a stable master who's got a quest called Donan's Favor. Here's the kicker: even though the quest appears at this stage, you won't be able to complete it until Act 4.
To get a Diablo 4 mount, you'll want to progress further until the start of Act 4. There, you'll receive a main quest called A Master's Touch. In it, you'll need to talk to Donan at the Cathedral of Light in Kyovashad.
After speaking to Donan, go back to the stable master and he'll have the Old Nell Steed available for use. There are also two others, the Grey Steed and Mottled Steed, which you can purchase for 20,000 gold each.
Diablo 4 mount controls and functions
In any case, this is how you complete the Diablo 4 Donan's Favor quest to get a mount. Here are some things to remember:
- Pressing the right button on the D-pad calls your horse. However, this has a slight cooldown. If you're able to dismount beforehand, the cooldown is only eight seconds. But, if your horse is attacked multiple times and it bolts, the cooldown will be over 20 seconds.
- Pressing the B button lets you dismount normally. Pressing the X button, meanwhile, allows you to do a leaping attack combined with a dismount.
- The right trigger (RT/R2) is used to make the horse gallop. This has limited charges (i.e. represented by spurs) that are replenished over time. You can gallop and bump into clustered enemies to get past them.
- Horses are primarily used on the overworld map. You cannot summon them in dungeons or cellars/basements.
- You can pick up gold and loot while on a horse. Likewise, you can activate Shrines, too. Unfortunately, you still need to manually traverse certain sections (i.e., ladders and crawlspaces). Moreover, barricades will need to be destroyed using regular attacks.
Another key factor to remember is that most enemies on the overworld map will avoid your mount, at least for a few seconds. However, if you get too close, or if you accidentally bowl over one, they'll aggro and chase you, too.
Diablo 4 has numerous classes, mechanics, and activities. For more about the game, you can visit our D4 guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.